Lyrics by Robert Berliner Music by Natalie Tenenbaum based on "Death of a Salesman" by Arthur Miller for the BMI Lehman Engel Musical Theatre Workshop performed by Brett Boles (Willy) with Caleb Damschroder (Biff) We wrote this for the classic BMI Workshop "Salesman" assignment - to write a final song for Willy Loman - a Sisyphean task first devised by Lehman Engel decades ago, and assigned ever since. This song is the "anchor" of the scene we presented on Monday, April 30, 2012. (Please consider that to an unfamiliar reader/listener, what follows may contain major plot spoilers.) WILLY Did you see how he cried to me? Oh, if I could kiss him, Ben! BEN Time, William, time! WILLY Oh, Ben, I always knew one way or another we were gonna make it, Biff and I! What a team! BEN (looking at his watch) The boat. We'll be late. (He moves slowly off into the darkness.) (Young Biff enters, in football garb. Willy is transfixed.) YOUNG BIFF Remember, Pop, when I take off my helmet, that t! ouchdown is for you. WHEN I BARREL PAST THE LINE, POP, IT'S FOR YOU WHEN I'M DRIVING THROUGH TO GLORY, IT'S FOR YOU I'LL PUT SEVEN ON THE SCOREBOARD JUST FOR YOU JUST FOR YOU I'M BREAKING THROUGH WILLY That boy... He has greatness in him! God Almighty, was he magnificent! A star! Like a young god! AND THE CROWDS WOULD CHEER AND THE TRUMPETS BLARE AND THEY'D LIFT HIM ON THEIR SHOULDERS AND THE SCORE WOULD SHOW IT WAS LOMAN OUT ON TOP HE WAS A HERO HE TASTED GLORY THE BOY KNEW GLORY He thinks I'm a ...
0 comments: